Top 10 Promotions Coming to Canal Park This Season
By Sean Tuttle
If you have ever been to a minor league game, you know that most of the attraction is what happens in between innings, the giveaways, and the contest prizes that you can win.
The Cleveland Indians’ Double-A affiliate, Akron Aeros, has been a place where families, kids, and college students can enjoy an evening of fun and baseball at a price that is extremely affordable. It is actually cheaper to go to Canal Park than it is to go out to the movies.
I’ve heard several people exclaim that, “If you’ve seen one minor league game, you’ve seen them all.” Sure they do the same games in between innings just about every game – dizzy-bat race, YMCA, the Creamstick Race, and Racing Orbit around the bases.
So how do minor league clubs like the Aeros continue to attract fans? Besides the rarity of a major league rehab assignment, the answer is PROMOTIONS!
I spoke with the Director of Corporate Sales & Promotions for the Akron Aeros, Calvin Funkhouser, about what promotions fans can be excited for this season. He responded with his list of top 10 most intriguing promotions scheduled for this season.
- 20 fireworks shows in 2012! The action starts Opening Night, April 12th.
- Zooperstars! are coming back to Canal Park May 19th.
- Monkey Cowboys riding dogs herding sheep, aka Team Ghost Riders will be showcased on June 7th.
- Midget Wrestling will take place on Aug 23rd!
- 26” youth bat giveaway presented by MDS Bats (locally owned & operated) on July 29th.
- The 2nd Annual Canal Park Egg Hunt sponsored by KT Waterproofing is scheduled for April 14th.
- June 19th will be the $1,000 Post Game Cash Dash!
- Tramonte Distributing is sponsoring B-Double-E Double R-U-N BEER RUN on June 28th.
- July 18th is Big Splash Day!
- Look! My dog is GREEN!!!! $1,000 Giveaway is taking place on July 17th.
Be sure to vote for Did The Tribe Win Last Night in Cleveland Magazine’s Blog Bracket Challenge this week. Voting is open until 5 pm on Friday.